I love Wild Garlic and now is the time to enjoy it. These scones are delicious, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you.
Wild Garlic and Cheese Scones
Makes approx 8
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 40g unsalted butter, diced
- a pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp English Mustard powder (optional, gives an extra kick) 100g Mature Cheddar cheese, grated. Plus extra for sprinkling 25g Wild Garlic leaves, finely chopped
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 220OC/gas mark 7
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter, until it feels like sand.
- Add the cayenne pepper, (English mustard powder), Cheddar and Wild Garlic and toss to combine evenly.
- Add the milk, all in one go and mix as briefly as possible to form a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface, roll out to about 3cms thick.
- Dip cutter into the flour and cut out about 8 scones.
- Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle on extra cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack